Sunday, October 7, 2007

Highly ‘effect’ive advice!



“Our presence should not affect you.”


Those were the words of wisdom that a friend mailed me when I was feeling a bit low because someone I rather liked was going away.


Now, that’s interesting! I mean, basically it implies that one should not be affected by other people. Sounds wonderful on paper. And it would yield some wonderful results. Just consider what would happen if I did not let others affect me:


  1. I would not be bothered by financial matters. Hey, I am a professional and I get paid by others. I cannot let them affect me, right? Even if they pay me peanuts or not pay me at all!

  2. I would become extremely popular with criminals, because I would cheerfully give them all my money. You see, I cannot let them affect me.

  3. I would be a joy to work with. Colleagues could do just about everything or anything and I would just smile – cannot let them affect me.

  4. I would become self-dependent. Because all my friends would dump me – after all, who wants to keep in touch with someone who is not affected by you and is not concerned whether you live or die?

  5. I would become a perfect model of patience. Nothing would affect me at all.


Sounds pretty good, no?


Incidentally, I forgot the best point of all – if I did not let others affect me, I would have a much better chance of meeting God. Because you see, I would need to be dead to let others – specially those I like – not affect me.


Nice advice, luv! But know something? I am not going to follow it. You will have just have to put up with affecting me for some time!


And I am not complaining.

2 comments:

Richa said...

hmm Well, I actually gave it a thought whether I should write a comment over here or not. And then I felt I should, and I am doing that. This is a beautiful piece written in such a beautiful manner, but hey you were complaining, and please don't deny that fact. I somehow felt the pain hidden behind your words. It was very much there,but please don't let those who don't care for you, hurt you in any manner. They don't deserve that :)
I may not sound realistic but still I believe that not everyone is worth your anger or love.

Nimish Dubey said...

Fortunately, I think the person I wrote about cares.He or she might think that I am totally insane but they care. And I guess that matters. All I really wanted to say was "heck, I have the right to be upset that you are going." And I am very flattered about the alleged beauty of the piece. Thanks.