Wednesday, October 17, 2007

All mixed up!


How often does one feel delighted and sad at the same time? Well, I felt both for a short while earlier today. A friend of mine might finally be getting her chance to go abroad and settle there.


That is terrific because it is something she has been planning to do for a while.


Of course, on the flip side, it means that I will not be seeing her ever again once she does go. And that is not exactly the best thing I have heard all year!


All of which translates into a rather complicated mathematical equation:


Fifty per cent of me is happy for her.


Twenty five per cent of me is sad for me.


Fifteen per cent of me is rather proud of the fifty per cent that is happy for her, as it shows I place my friend’s happiness above my own grief.


Ten per cent of me thinks that the fifteen per cent bit is a pompous idiot that is trying to appear noble, while actually being a selfish dolt.


And all that adds up to: a rather confused individual!

Boy, Kipling sure knew what he was talking about when he advised people to “Meet with triumph and disaster, And treat those two impostors just the same.” You said it, Rudy!

No comments: