Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Want a fresh perspective? Fall sick!

I spent most of the last week in bed, laid up with a fever that had my temperature imitating the Sensex at its best. I was bloody miserable.

But it did put a lot of things in perspective. I suddenly realised the importance of being able to enjoy one’s meal or to be able to chat to one’s friends. Heck, I even found out a lot about many of my friends – I was amazed at the utter lack of attention some of them paid me, later claiming that they did not want to ‘disturb’ me. Incidentally, it is fascinating how many people avoid calling you when you are sick because they do not want to disturb you but have no problems calling you at work, when you are actually busy! I don’t know about you, but I have always welcomed anyone who is willing to talk to me when I am sick. Being ill is a rather lonely business.

Anyway, as my temperature dipped, I realised that there are a few things that are as, if not more, important than meeting deadlines and worrying about meetings – a good appetite, a normal temperature, and friends who care.

If you too need a fresh perspective, I would recommend falling thoroughly ill. It will change the way you think. Well, for a while at least.

2 comments:

Nidhi Singal said...

Hey to be honest I won't say I avoided calling you coz u were ill...but I myself was busy with deadline and later on with few other messed up things in my life...but yeah...it is just a nice excuse...
Just take care of yourself and you are too sweet to be ignored...Believe me...

Ruchi Hajela said...

hey unclesss, don't sad re. i hv been wanting to fall sick cos I want to b hooooooooooomeeeeeeeee