Monday, July 2, 2007

That's Life

I usually avoid any visits to the market – especially so if it is an early morning visit to the nearby grocery shop. Nevertheless, being alone at home I had no option (other than to starve myself) but to go to Sonu’s shop to get eggs and bread for breakfast. I was there still trying to wake up, this heat does make one drowsy and even 10 hours of sleep seem less.

Well, getting back to the shop, I was waiting for my things to get packed and that is when this tiny, young little girl popped up in the shop. She came from the slums located nearby (thanks to these slums that we have our Kanta otherwise life would have been even more hectic). Anyway, more about Kanta in some other post.

So this girl got into the shop and asked the shopkeeper for a sachet of shampoo. What happened next was a revelation for me. This girl kept pointing her finger at the rows of shampoo sachets hung in the shop. However, the shopkeeper was not able to understand which one, after all there were so many of them there. Tracing down what this little girl was pointing at, I wondered to myself for a second that why didn’t she simply mention the name ‘Sunsilk Pink’. And then, within the next few seconds, I realised, she did not understand what Pink and Sunsilk meant. The shopkeeper asked her to stand on the stool and hold the one she was trying to point. She finally got the shampoo she was looking for but I was left rather shocked.

I mean we just take so many things for granted. What amazed me the most was the fact that someone might not know express something that just came so naturally to me or to anyone else in my capacity.

2 comments:

Nimish Dubey said...

We take a lot for granted. Look at the clowns in the Parliament - they assume that just because the rate of economic growth is 9 per cent and the Sensex is up, everyone is well off!

Nidhi Singal said...

While reading this post, I was actually able to relate ....just recalled an instance, when I realised that actually we take lot things for granted.