Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A new hang-out for the P3 type auntyjies

I went to attend a panel discussion today on retail. Now I was shocked to see well decked middle-aged women coming in large groups to attend what I expected was going to be an intellectual discussion.

Those auntijies looked more like socialites than journalists making me more confused as there was nothing better to catch my attention. Thankfully, I had a data connection and an instant messenger on my phone and my editor and a friend were online. I could at least crib to them. While my editor wasn't surprised (and later told me this experience is a must for all journalists), this analyst friend could only laugh at it (I am assuming he laughed as he typed 'lol' in response to my surprise on finding P3 party types participating in some discussion).

All I could assess from what I saw was that stereotypes keep getting redefined all the time. I assumed clubs and kitty parties were the only way to locate auntyjies, but no! Visit a museum or an NGO or some other place where the intelligentsia is supposed to be found, chances are you'll find auntyjies there

No comments: