Monday, August 13, 2007

Does track record matter?

“Have you seen his/her track record?”


Those were the words that were offered by the head of an organisation as a rationale for the selection (and retention) of one of the most unprofessional people I have seen in recent times. The person had served in a number of very well-known organisations but still seemed to know appallingly little about the job, and worse, seemed more inclined to grab a pay cheque and run, rather than work.


Still, he/she had a good track record. Evidently, that gives one licence to do just about anything and get away with it. Because hey, look at their track record! Someone who has worked in such high-profile organisations cannot be an ass!


Is that so?


I would beg to differ. There is no organisation in the world that does not have its share of prime idiots. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a person who has worked in a smaller organisation is likely to be far more efficient or hard-working than one who has been in a high-profile organisation, simply because the former work so much harder. I have seen a team of three people generate far better content for a magazine than a team of about ten people working in a much bigger organisation. The reason? Well, the three worked much harder while eight of the ten in the other organisation were too busy avoiding work! And yet, if someone looks at their professional profiles, it is probable that the eight who did no work at all would be considered as having a better track record than the three who did.


If this is management, give me a break!


This is not to say that all those who work in well-known institutions are dumbos or all those who work in smaller ones are models of efficiency. All I want to say is that you cannot really judge a person solely by his or her track record. Actions always speak louder than words, especially those on your resume (heck, who writes anything bad in their resume, anyway?).


All of which reminds of a Hindi film in the 1980s called Jalwa in which Naseeruddin Shah plays the role of a police officer who has been taken off a sensitive case. When he objects, his senior tells him, “The new officer has more experience.” Naseer’s response: “Sir, insaan aur achaar mein kuchch to farak hota hai!” (Sir, there must be some difference between pickle and a human being!)


I rest my case. I have nothing against a good track record or stacks of experience. But I would trade them all for someone who is sincere and actually works, rather than pretends to.

3 comments:

Ruchi Hajela said...

who minds being praised??? Not me :D

Nidhi Singal said...

But the first question is who decides this track record thingi...for you it may be good and for me it may be bad...I think the point you said -'Action speak louder then words' is actually correct. Your action describes the person you are and one more thing i would like to share (though it doesnt fit in this context but still)...
"If you look for the worst in life and in people, you will find it. But if you look for the best you will find that instead"

Nimish Dubey said...

Actions do speak louder than words, but I am not sure I agree with the quote at the end. The fact is that I would rather look for the worst in people, because that is what can hurt me. The best is always a pleasant surprise. But then, I am a cynic.