Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Shut up!

“Shut up!” can be such a rude remark.


It is a remark generally meant to terminate a conversation. One which denotes anger, frustration, boredom – to the extent that the speaker is asked to stop speaking.


Note that I stated “generally. They could also mean something quite different.

I was chatting online with one of my friends yesterday– a person I have met a sum total of twice and also talked about two times, but whom I consider a friend nevertheless (I tell her all kinds of nonsense – something she tolerates rather kindly). We were generally chatting of this and that and meeting for a cup of coffee some time in the coming days when I mentioned, out of politeness, that I hoped I was not being a pain. After all, she was a working professional and surely had more important things to do than make plans to hang out, sipping coffee with Yours Truly.


Her reaction surprised me.


“Shut up!” she typed.


And as I read those words, I realised that "Shut Up!" could represent something more than anger, frustration or boredom.


It could represent affection. Affection tinged by irritation, maybe. But affection nevertheless.


It was not the first time I have been told to shut up. Something tells me it is not the last time either.


But I am not sure I have ever liked it as much as I did yesterday.

No comments: